Why I dumped P Square -May |D

5:25 PM 0 Comments


He is a fluke. He won’t last. Indeed, not many gave much chance to Akinmayokun Awodumila otherwise known as May D after his brilliant cameo in the 2011 monster hit song Chop My Money and Do I As I Do by popular hip hop duo, P Square. The thinking was that he rode on the success of Africa’s most popular twins to fame and stardom.
For an appetizer, Mr. May D released his first set of singles including “Ile Ijo” and “Cool Temper.” The result was instantaneous and swayed even his toughest skeptic. Between then and now, the singer cemented a place on the music scene with the release of an album entitled Chapter One. His debut parades hits including “Sound Track,” “Gat Me High” and “Many Things” among others.
One of the biggest career challenges came early this year when relationship broke down between the singer and PSquare. That was his first real test. Sunday Express caught up recently with the singer and he opened up on his solo experience in the music wilderness, his new experience as a father and his future plans with his Baby Mama among other interesting issues.


Congratulations on your baby boy, please share with us your fatherhood experience
Fatherhood is something I’m just getting into. I’m just getting  to know what it is, so if I’m tell you what it is like, I’m just lying to you. I’m still learning.


With your busy schedule as a singer, how do you make out time to spend with your son?
I’m always with my son when I’m not performing on stage or recording in the studio. I try to spend good time with my son.
What plans do you have to settle down in marriage?
Haa…I don’t know yet but very soon. I will let you know when I’m set for marriage.


Many people thought that you won’t recover from your shocking split from PSquare’s Square Records?
I thank God that didn’t happen. I’ve been waxing strong by the grace of God. I have my own record label now.


So, why a record label so soon?
Basically, there is no time now and I don’t think that it was not so soon by the way. It was around this time last year. My reason for having a record label was just to get an organized body to handle my music business. It’s no more a joke. It is now something that I make my living from, so why don’t I just establish myself by getting a label that will keep records of what is happening? Music is serious business. It involves a whole lot of things. One can’t do it all alone. One needs people.
But what influenced your choice of setting up your own label instead of joining another label?
I would have signed a new deal when I fell out with Square Records because I had a whole lot of offers from too many people that I can’t count. But why I decided to just stay on my own was because I don’t know why I would leave one of the biggest acts in Africa and then decide to go with just anyone. So I just decided to stand up on my own. I guess there is something about me that I don’t know that people are seeing in me. So let me try and find it.
What lesson did you learn at Square Records?

Basically, I learnt a lot because they have been in the game for a while before I joined them and I appreciate everything. I thank God for everything. It was an experience. It was a good experience at the end of the day because I know where I came from. So, I’m always going to be thankful to God for that experience.


What is your relationship with them?
They are my friends. They’ve always being my friend.
Those who know long before you started music would say that it has taken quite a long time to get to where you are now, do you agree?
Actually, it took long but at the end of the day I would say God’s time is the best. I started as a dancer in my secondary school, Kings’ College, Lagos. When I got into the University of Lagos (UNILAG), I started music and even though it was tough I persevered. There were ups and downs, but after several years things took a better shape and here I am today, by God’s grace.


What has been the gain and pain of fame for you so far?
So many things and it has also deprived me of so many things.
Lets look at one major thing it has deprived you of
It happened only recently when I travelled for a show. When I got back to Nigeria, I was driving with some of my friends that came with me and then one of them was like, ‘menh, me I go just stop by for here, arrange myself, chop because this food go bad’. Immediately he said that, I was like make we go but almost at the same time I remembered that I couldn’t just walk in there with him. I couldn’t do it. That is just one of the things one misses. I miss crossing the road and walking through a pedestrian bridge, things like that.


How do you handle female attention?
It didn’t just start today; it started back in secondary school, so it’s been a normal thing for me that has been there since my childhood. So it’s not a new thing to me. But basically I just go with the flow, however it comes I just take it, you know. Sometimes when one is busy, one have to let them know that. That is just how it is. But for those female fans who really want something with me, they are free, I will give it to you, Sound Track (laughs).


What are you presently working on?
My album is out already. It’s titled Chapter One.


Yes, the 20 track album. Which one in particular is dear to you the most?
The track that’s dear to heart is track one, Story Of Life.


What’s the story behind it?
Basically, it’s just a brief summary of my life. If you really understand what I’m saying you will know where I’m coming from. But basically, it’s just an inspiring song, saying you can make it. It’s just the story of life, how life is but at the end of the day na God sure pass. If you have a hustle, hold on to your hustle.


What feeds your inspiration to write songs?
I get inspired first of all by God. God inspires me. If I have the assurance I’m going to wake up the next day, that in itself is an inspiration to do anything. So, first of all, it is God. Secondly, people around me especially women inspire me. My friends inspire me. Anyone can inspire me. Like you now, you can inspire me. It depends.


What do you do for past time?
At the moment, I’m full time into music.


How do you unwind?
I love to hang out with my old time friends not new friends.


Did you have your parents support to do music from the word go?
Yes, right from when I was dancing in secondary school, they’ve always been supportive. They never wanted to do any shady stuff to get my breakthrough. They’ve always been supporting me in my music.


Do you have any advice for rising talents?
I’m just going to say stay focused. Be true to yourself because you can’t lie to yourself. You can lie to people but please be true to your own self. And the last one is believe in your God, because na God sure pass. Consistency is what defines everybody’s dreams like I always say. What started like a joke ten years ago today is now a reality. Music was just a passion but I didn’t let it lie low. Also, I knew I didn’t want to do a five to nine job, so I had to put all my energy into it. God saw my toiling and he made a way for me, today I am where I am. But if you ask me, I have not even started. The moment you start to think you have arrived, that moment your creativity starts to die a slow death. I thank God for where I am but my best is yet to come. Challenges will come but stay focused.


What’s your take on the music industry?
The Nigerian music industry right now is hot and only the strong can survive. Strong in the sense that you need to keep being creative or else you have no place in it. That is why I say I’ve not even started.


Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard. Google

0 comments: